(from Earle Shettleworth 1974)
- 1. Tugboat Sequin - Bath, Maine (1884), Public
A tug used for towing five masted sailing vessels as well as
barges from the sea to various parts of the Kennebec River.
- 2. U. S. Custom House - Bath, Maine (1853-58),
This Ammi B. Young Italianate Custom House stands on the
Waterfront of one of Maine's busiest l9th century sea ports and
shipbuilding centers. (10/6/70)
- 3. Governor William King House - Bath, Maine (1812),
The home of William King, Maine's first governor
- 4. William D. Crooker House - Bath, Maine (c. 1850),
A grand late Greek Revival mansion designed and built by Isaac D.
Cole of Bath.
- 5. Hyde Estate - Bath, Maine (1914), Private
A palatial Georgian Revival mansion sited in a park-like setting.
The house was erected for the Hyde family, Bath shipbuilders, from
designs by John Calvin Stevens I of Portland.
- 6. Sagadahoc County Courthouse - Bath, Maine (1968),
An impressive brick and brownstone Italian style court house built
from designs by Francis H. Fassett of Portland.
- 7. Washington Street Historic District Bath, Maine
(19th century), Private and Public A beautiful street of l9th
century residences and churches from the Federal through the
Colonial Revlval styles. Many of these structures reflect the
maritime pros perity which Bath enjoyed in the l9th century.
- 8. Winter Street Church - Bath, Maine (1943),
A major wooden Gothic Revival church in New England. Designed and
built under the supervision of Anthony C. Raymond of Bath.
- 9. Percy & Small Shipyard - Bath, Maine (1894),
This shipyard was involved in the building of 44 vessels between
1894 and 1920, 42 of which were schooners. (NReg-7/27/71)
- 10. Cabot Textile Mill - Brunswick, Maine (1891),
A massive late l9th century brick textile mill built on the site
of a mill complex which started in 1834.
- 11. Footbridge - Brunswick, Maine (c.l900), Public
- 12. Bowdoin College Campus - Brunswick, Maine (19th
Since its founding in 1794, Bowdoin College has significantly
influenced the intellectual and literary life of Maine and has
made Brunswick an important cultural center. The following are
buildings of special interest on the campus:
- ADAMS HALL (1860) - A large brick and brownstone Italianate
classroom building which once housed the Maine School of
- APPLETON HALL (1843) - A brick dormitory built on the lines
of Winthrop and Maine Halls.
- CHAPEL (1845-55) - A granite Romanesque church designed by
Richard Upjohn and built under the supervision of Samuel
Melcher III, Brunswick's leading local master builder.
- COMMONS HALL (1828) - A brick structure attributed to
Samuel Melcher III.
- HUBBARD HALL (1902-03) - A major late Gothic Revival
building designed by Henry Vaughn as a library
- MAINE HALL (1936) - Maine Hall was built in 1836 to replace
an earlier structure of 1806-08. Maine Hall was erected from
plans by Anthony C. Raymond, a prominent Brunswick-Bath master
- MASSACHUSETTS HALL (1802) - Massachusetts Hall was the
first building on the Bowdoin campus. A handsome restrained
Federal structure, it provided classrooms, faculty offices, and
living accommodations. The design is attributed to Samuel
Melcher III. (NReg -7/27/71)
- MEMORIAL HALL (1868) - An imposing Gothic Revival hall
built in memory of Bowdoin men in the Civil War. Now used as a
- PRESIDENT'S HOUSE (1860) - Built in 1860 for Captain
Francis G. Jordan, this grand Italianate wooden mansion has
long been the home of Bowdoin's presidents.
- PSI U FRATERNITY HOUSE (1933 - A distinguished example of
John Calvin Stevens' late Shingle Style work.
- WALKER MUSEUM OF ART (1894) - Designed by Charles F. McKim
of the famous New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and
White; the museum is modeled on the exterior after
Brunelleschi's Florentine Renaissance Piazzi Chapel. Inside, in
four tympana under the arches of the central dome are murals
painted by John LaFarge, Elihu Bedder, Abbott Thayer, and
Kenyon Cox symbolizing the artisitc achievements of Athens,
Rome, Florence, and Venice.
- WINTHROP HALL (1822) - A large brick Federal style
- 13. Henry Boody House - Brunswick, Maine (1849),
A major wooden Gothic Revival house designed by the English
American architect Gervase Wheeler. Published in 1850 in The
Architecture of Country Houses by Andrew Jackson Downing.
- 14. Federal Street District - Brunswick, Maine (19th
century), Private and Public.
A stately street of Federal, Greek Revival, and Victorian homes,
several of which are the work of Samuel Melcher III, Brunswick's
leading l9th century architect and builder.
- 15 First Parish Church, Brunswick, Maine (1845),
This large board and batten Gothic Revival church was designed in
1845 by Richard Upjohn and was constructed undersupervision of the
local master builder Isaiah Coombs. (NReg-12/3/69)
- 16 Captain George McManus House - Brunswick, Maine
A fine example of a transitional brick Greek Revival Italianate
residence of the Maine mid-coast region. (NReg-5/16/74)
- 17 St. Paul's Episcopal Church - Brunswick, Maine
An early example of the board and batten chapel form which Richard
Upjohn popularized throughout the United States. Upjohn designed
this church for the Brunswick Episcopalians
- 18 Pejepscot Paper Mill - Topsham, Maine (1868),
The Pejepscot Paper Mill at Topsham is the earliest surviving
example of Maine's l9th century wood pulp mills. Architecturally,
it is also the finest. Erected in 1868 this complex of industrial
buildings is dramatically sited at Brunswick Falls on the
- 19. Bank - Topsham, Maine (c. 1840), Public
A handsome brick Greek Revival bank of the C.1840 period.
- 20. Topsham Historic District - Topsham, Maine (18th
and l9th centuries), Public and Private Topsham's unusually fine
residential neighborhood is comprised predominently of Federal and
Greek Revival homes. Many of these houses were designed and built
by Samuel Melcher III of the adjacent town of Brunswick.
- 21. Peacock Tavern - Richmond, Maine (1807), public
A well-known hostelry on the route from the coast to Augusta.
- 22. Southard Block - Richmond, Maine (1882), Public
The Southard Block is a late example of a small town Mansard
roofed commercial building with an original bank and counting
house surviving. The first story has a cast iron front of Boston
origin. The structure was designed and built by Thomas J.
Southard, prominent Richmond ship builder and developer. (NReg
- 23. Greek Revival Farm House - Richmond, Maine (c.
A handsome example of a small, one and a half story Greek Revival
temple style farm house.
- 24. Richmond Corner Meeting House - Richmond Corner,
Maine (1835), Private
A rural Greek Revival meeting house which is the earliest known
work of Harvey Graves, a native of Bowdoinham, Maine, who became a
prominent mid-19th century Boston church architect. Built by
Graves in conjunction with Daniel Holway of Bowdoinham.
- 25. Richmond Historic District - Richmond, Maine (19th
century), Public and Private
Richmond thrived as a shipbuilding center in the twenty years
before the Civil War. This prosperity created a town with more
distinctive Grecian temple style houses than any other in Maine.
Other fine homes and commercial buildings were built in the
Italianate and Second Empire styles. (NReg -11/12/73)
- 26. Bridge Academy - Dresden, Maine (c. 1895),
A distinctive late Queen Anne style design for a school by Georqe
A. Clouqh, a Boston architect.
- 27. Bowman-Carney House - Dresden Maine (c 1761),
Attorney Jonathan Bowman contracted with Gersham Flagg of Roston
to design and build this handsome Georgian house on the Kennebec
River. Bowman later became Judge of Probate for Lincoln County.
(NReg - 4/12/71)
- 28. Pownalborough Courthouse - Dresden, Maine (1761),
Lincoln County was established in 1760 and the following year the
Plymouth Company proprietors voted to construct this courthouse
for the new county. Gersham Flagg of Boston was the architect and
master builder. (NReg - 1/13/70)
- 29. St. John's Episcopal Church - Dresden, Maine (c.
A local landmark with a pleasing composition of Federal style,
Greek Revival, and Gothic Revival elements in wood.
- 30. Day's Ferry Historic District - Day's Ferry,
Woolwich, Maine (l8th and 19th centuries), Public and Private